We’ve added a couple of new options for sorting and filtering contest entries:
- Unrated – gives the Contest Holders a better overview about which entries need to be rated.
- Voted Up/Down – filters by total score. Includes votes by other voters in addition to the Contest Holder.
- Contest Holder Votes – Up/Down votes cast by the Contest Holder only.
Participants can see the entries only after the contest has expired.
Starting today, payments of $100 are issued each time you’ve received another 1000 Points.
Previously we issued Paypal payments of $50 every time 500 Points was reached.
When a public contest has 0 votes, each participant can post up to 10 names. As soon as there is at least 1 vote, you can post more.
Contestants with a 30-day average vote ratio of less than 0.25 can only post 5 entries, before voting starts.
This gives a chance for contest holders to provide feedback and reduces the chance of getting too many irrelevant entries.
An update to the scoring system was released yesterday. Previously, when a name was posted to a Contest, an upvote by the name’s creator was added automatically. New names got 1 vote immediately after posting.
We have removed this automatic scoring, so now each new name has a base score of 0. Contestants cannot vote for their own entries. This has enabled us to make the database a bit faster. It has no effect on how Points are calculated.
As a heads-up, all contest participants should be working on improving their Up/Down votes ratio. Your 30-day average ratio will determine, how many entries you can post to a contest per day. These numbers may be subject to change:
- A ratio of less than 0.30 allows you to post 10 names to each contest per day
- A ratio of less than 0.20 allows you to post 5 names to each contest per day
Long-term contributors with the highest yearly average ratios may be eligible for bonus payments.
How to improve your Voting Ratio:
- Research the contest topic on Wikipedia to find related keywords
- Ask questions in the Contest discussion, if anything is unclear
- Use Onelook Reverse Dictionary to find related words
- Add Contest Keywords – everyone can do so, not just the contest holder
- Use the Techniques that the Contest Holder has liked – sometimes those are shown under the Techniques tab
- Come up with new creative techniques. Use Alliterations, Intersections, List Blending, Name Templates. It helps to know, which Lists are available at NameStation.
- See what kind of names are popular in the same niche. Use Google, LinkedIn and Crunchbase Categories to find out which keywords can be used.
As always, the purpose of these enhancements is to get higher quality entries for the contests and less noise. Based on the feedback, Contest Holders would rather like to get 50 relevant entries than 300 random ones.
Good luck with your domain search!
There is now a limit to how many entries each contestant can post to Public Contests, before voting has started. The reason being that the Contest Holders need to get a chance of providing feedback, before they receive hundreds of entries that may not be what they’re expecting.
Currently, each contestant can post up to 15 entries per Contest, if there are zero Votes. As soon as there is at least 1 Vote, you can post more. But you have to take into account the feedback from the Contest Holder and avoid posting the types of names that were voted down.
This also provides additional motivation for Contest Holders to start voting sooner, so that they could get more entries.
NameStation has launched several new features to help you find available domains more efficiently:
- Alliterative names search. Create names with the same beginning or ending as your word, e.g. PayPal or SoundHound.
- Overlapping words search. Append words that have overlapping parts with your keyword. Merge two dictionary words to create names like Pinterest (pin+interest).
- Business name generator. Generate names with words commonly used in compound business names.
- Name Templates. Find names with specific character patterns like LLLL etc.
- .COM.AU, .FR, .CO.NZ domain extensions added
There are now a total of 18 domain name search methods to generate any name type you can think of.
Ultra-fast bulk domain search, keyword suggestions, creativity enablers and a unique catalog of over 40K hand-picked available domains are just some of the features waiting to be discovered.
Get started at www.namestation.com and give it a try.
You can now select the language when generating domain names with Overlapping words or Alliterations.
In the example below, we’re looking for a name for a strategic consulting business. We want the name to reflect reliability, vision, intelligence, inspiration etc. So we combine partial words like “inspir”, “advis”, “strat”, “vision”, “smart” with the Latin dictionary (in addition to English).
Names based on Latin can usually be pronounced in English. This results in generated names like Visionis, Visionatus, Stratorial, Inspirium, Smartimus.
To take advantage of NameStation’s most powerful domain search tools, it’s important to know, which keyword lists to use. There are over 170 preset lists that can be combined and merged, so a more efficient way of selecting and finding the right ones was needed. Today, the new searching and browsing controls have now been completed and awaiting your feedback.
First click opens up the list browser. For new users, this is a good way to start exploring, which lists we have. Clicking on any list performs a search with it. The Keyword List dropdown also functions as a search field.
Just start typing the List name, contest name, or any keyword and it will instantly display all Lists (including Contest Lists and Custom Lists) containing the search term.
What do you think – do they make finding the relevant lists easier, is there room for improvement?
We’ve added two new lists for generating business names:
- Business Name Prefixes – containing words commonly used in compound business names, such as Archer, Pathway, Allied, Union, Imperial, Redwood, Open, Epic, Icon, Venture.
- Business Name Suffixes – words associated with different trades, consulting, management, services.
Just a few minutes experimenting with those lists has already revealed promising results. All these domains are currently available:
Looking for more names like these? Try the new business name generators today.